Re: Gone West?

From: Robin Laws Mail List Only <tjaderoo_at_E-zx8qLAJgQB8nzDCxyTvfpl9xQd33lYJRyBsQ7atOJQzK2pZKYEV6SE-siIcD8MsJI>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:24:00 -0400

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Nick Eden<nick_at_GPXsgCorru3CO2h8dJX5rGtHE0fK45olq9LeeB4kjCWDubWIRWQ6qttxvYWVA8-nFew-unQpr-ySUuVCSvQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I rather presume that the "Only Dragon Pass sells" message likely has a lot
> to do with Blood Over Gold, it being the most significant non-DP product of
> the last few years.

In the RPG market in general, you'll get much better sales on a product that GMs can incorporate into their existing campaigns than ones that require or encourage them to set up new campaigns. The original setting for a game tends to outsell alternate settings due to this sort of reinforcing legacy effect. I was surprised at first to learn that this is so strong even in the Glorantha community, where you'd assume a much higher percentage of completists and people who buy just for the reading value. But really it makes perfect sense. The excitement that leads to a purchase comes when you imagine yourself putting the new book to immediate use.

Take care >>> Robin