Re: Digest Number 2049

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_6b-4Fm0kkW5ga2vqSNdA_iBLuBQK8swe8U9pfcTU1FdDKT1Pt4KKoV75oO2XYO9-NeVj>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:00:37 -0000

> It's late, and I have more 10-12 hour workdays ahead of me.
>
> So while there is some disagreement about some details, but the basic
> consensus on the list here is that all magic that isn't common magic is
> gained (at least initially) through a heroquest - the following and
> re-enactment of a myth. So intrinsically, there is no difference in how
> the three worlds magics are gained by the people who set them up, it is
> only in how someone has to follow them that the split occurs. (You learn
> formulae from a book, do the proper sacrifice, learn the negotiating
> trick of the spirit.)
>
> That... wasn't what I figured, but seems to be the implication coming
> out of this discussion.
>

> a) interactions with otherworld beings do not necessarily require HeroQuests
> so that new magic can be discovered outside the hero plane
>
> b) creativity exists in Glorantha, magicians can have it, and the HQ rules
> at least should clearly illustrate that magic can be creatively used by
> non-heroquesting types
>
> c) this is a very old discussion, and no consensus about these matters has
> ever been reached as far as I know.

I think there is a disconnect here or at least an overbroad use of the word "heroquest". Gloranthan magic involves interaction with the Otherworld in some manner. The basic division is divine magic (using magic through emulating the god), spirit magic (using magic through the services of a spirit), or wizardry (using magic through understanding the magical laws of Glorantha). There are other approaches as well. Dragonewt magic doesn't fit into this formulae and I am sure there are other exceptions as well.

But the later points you make confuse me and I really don't get what you getting at. Could you rephrase it?

Jeff