Re: The lingua franca of Malkionism?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_nJsIaJ8aktQxb6w_KsqBiFuQyG6KKbzelmqgdwgMkJWbf9f5CAW90DfnPUPuC1RR9Jo>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:53:26 +1200

At 07:14 a.m. 17/06/2009, you wrote:
>If there is a religious language which is used for wizardry and
>sorcery instead of the vernacular, what is it?
>
>Or do different sects have their own liturgical languages, distinct
>from the vernacular? I could understand sorcerors using the old
>Brithini language, but presumably Monotheists would use another language.

One correction that I would make to Greg's explanation is that where he used Brithini
I would have said Logical as Brithos was a comparatively late phase in the history
of the Land of Logic.

A RW analogy that may be useful is Koine (the language of the new testament) and
Attic Greek (the language of the philosophers), with the Malkioni being the common speakers of a language rich in faith while the Zzaburi/Brithini are the speakers
of a refined language of sophistication and philosophy. So while Malkioni holy texts
are comprehensible to the Brithini and vice versa, one is seen as a barbarous cant of
illiterates while the other is an incredibly abstruse language of little relevance to
everyday life.

Another thing is that I don't think an official old Malkioni becomes established until
the Abiding Book. Up till then the Loskalmi and the Seshnegi have several dialects
of Old Malkioni (and holy texts written in them) but for most intents and purposes
official communication (ie diplomacy and stuff) is done using Brithini because that's
what the Waertagi and their allies use.

When the Abiding Book is revealed it creates a canonical version of Old Malkioni
that is intelligible by other speakers of Old Malkioni dialects yet possesses its
own rhythms and internal dynamics that firmly establish it as a Sign From God - accept no substitutes! It's impressive enough that the modern Loskalmi who do not accept the Abiding Book have their own texts in the language. After the
Waertagi become toast, there's no compelling necessity to retain the use of Brithini in official correspondence and so people switch to Old Malkioni.

--Peter Metcalfe