Re: The lingua franca of Malkionism?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_v5aBp91qkgDhNfLXm4-9yV50LwhWfO527XhWEVjE83eKauh06OE3tboAfDgF-CXHR>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:26:44 -0700

YGWV On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_CZPEGx9vY4YhbGdsqEpb08sb8stEoOpe-zZuKo1O0GguAAqq1FssbMWr03RC0IBNelKRGF4gzRU5Y6CpcrQSuDNgPg.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> At 07:14 a.m. 17/06/2009, you wrote:
> >If there is a religious language which is used for wizardry and
> >sorcery instead of the vernacular, what is it?
> >
> >Or do different sects have their own liturgical languages, distinct
> >from the vernacular? I could understand sorcerors using the old
> >Brithini language, but presumably Monotheists would use another language.
>
> One correction that I would make to Greg's explanation is that where
> he used Brithini
> I would have said Logical as Brithos was a comparatively late phase
> in the history of the Land of Logic.

I agree with Peter's correction. Thank you.

A RW analogy that may be useful is Koine (the language of the new
> testament) and
> Attic Greek (the language of the philosophers), with the Malkioni being the
> common speakers of a language rich in faith while the
> Zzaburi/Brithini are the speakers
> of a refined language of sophistication and philosophy. So while
> Malkioni holy texts
> are comprehensible to the Brithini and vice versa, one is seen as a
> barbarous cant of
> illiterates while the other is an incredibly abstruse language of
> little relevance to
> everyday life.
>
> Another thing is that I don't think an official old Malkioni becomes
> established until
> the Abiding Book. Up till then the Loskalmi and the Seshnegi have
> several dialects
> of Old Malkioni (and holy texts written in them) but for most intents
> and purposes
> official communication (ie diplomacy and stuff) is done using
> Brithini because that's
> what the Waertagi and their allies use.
>
> When the Abiding Book is revealed it creates a canonical version of
> Old Malkioni
> that is intelligible by other speakers of Old Malkioni dialects yet
> possesses its
> own rhythms and internal dynamics that firmly establish it as a Sign From
> God
> - accept no substitutes! It's impressive enough that the modern Loskalmi
> who
> do not accept the Abiding Book have their own texts in the
> language. After the
> Waertagi become toast, there's no compelling necessity to retain the use of
> Brithini in official correspondence and so people switch to Old Malkioni.

And I'll agree that this seems right as well.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer