Re: Pelandan Souls

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_Z5vwDg7zdHZ1wkx-IGmE0B5tnG71g_tc7f6CmDnnzAqYOOSGaYzgGjZLsIQjYqjUFxpeWH>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:39:55 +0100

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> Supporting this is the Entekosiad which mentions the Made People
> (p12) and the God First Error which has the Gods mutilating their
> soul parts in six ways to become sorcerors and chaotics. There's
> also the aside (p44) in which Valare mentions that a Wendarians
> only have five soul parts in the good old days.

Five souls and five eldest peoples. Not a coincidence? I think Valare's aside may be crucial.

> Replacing Dendara with Entekos and Lodril with Turos are
> obvious solutions. Oria needs no changing as she was
> present in the original myth. That leaves Dayzatar, Yelm
> and the Other Goddess.

Yes, I really should have looked at Rufelza and the Lunar Cycle (p112)

> The Other Goddess is probably
> Gorgorma since Valare Addi cites her in connection with
> Dendara and Oria in myths on page 17 and page 45 of the
> Entekosiad.

Yes, Pelandan souls need a Shadow part to accommodate Spolitism. Azerlo is perhaps another candidate. But note the explicit connection of Natha to that part in the Lunar Cycle.

> If Idovanus provided Intellect/Bird as you seem to think he
> should then he's a replacement for Dayzatar and not
> Yelm. He is called a "blue feathered flyer" on page 21 of
> the Entekosiad and he is mentioned again with feathers
> in the Great Dance on p28.

I like it.

> So who provided Fire?

So, the difficulties are with Fire and Shadow. Neither Greg's statement that the Pelandan soul parts number 6 but are different from the Dara Happan parts, nor my suggestion that each corresponds to a High God, fits the evidence well.

More pondering required.