Re: Divine Cults and Sorcery

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_XRTqjAZ78rQ9PEjYiCdHt_-3nO8JPa0QlxA1_2vXeVz7OmA8zb-kqtiB0QkytRgy>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:06:29 -0000

Benjamin Ehrenreich :

> I have a question about being an initiate in a divine cult in Glorantha.
> My gamemaster is vehement that according to all the sources he has read
> a character cannot KNOW any sorcery (skills/spells) and be an initiate
> or higher of a cult.
>
> Now RQIII stated that an initiate may never become a SORCERER, which was
> clarified in the RQIV playtest (that a friend of mine let me read) to
> mean "a sorcery using adventurer that has undergone an apprenticeship."
> Has that ever been made official and what IS the official stance on
> this? Can an adventurer know sorcery and be in a divine cult? My GM
> thinks I'm just trying to break an "unbreakable limit that the writers
> were VERY clear on" (his words not mine). I think he's wrong? What are
> your opinions?

What Peter and Jeff said, I'd just add some emphasis that RQ has _never_ explicitly stated that Initiates in general can never use any sorcery.

There are some official _individual_ RuneQuest III Cults that prohibit sorcery to their initiates, but these prohibitions are set out in the individual write-ups and NOT in the RQ3 rules for initiation.

Such a rules prohibition was introduced in HW and HQ1 (in some cases, and for devotees mainly instead of just initiates, via the headache-inducing magic concentration mechanics), but it has thankfully been retconned.

Nevertheless, YourGM'sGWV, and if it is his decision in his game that Initiation is inherently incompatible with any and all sorcery, then he's not "wrong" -- it's just his Glorantha ;)

Julian Lord