Re: Saints as an access to runes (like gods)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Lr78_DO_DhOOOtnliRcyjYkNMG6WFxj1T-LL7rwHJtNfDkq1VPQpmor21AEGpWoCJdm>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:00:26 +1200

0At 04:19 p.m. 22/06/2009, you wrote:
> >Like grimoires, theses are dedicated to a rune. A sorceror normally
> >has two theses, a major and a minor.
>
>This almost seems like it would work for God Learners, but the metaphor
>is feeling very forced to me.

What is so forced? Academia has been around since the middle ages and there are universities in the west of glorantha.

>Absolutely nothing in the presented texts so far seems to imply there
>are that many grimoires floating around.

How many grimoires did I actually indicate? If a wizard that produces a grimoire is only a step beneath a saint then surely it follows that not many wizards produce grimoires. Secondly just because a grimoire has been produced does not make it automatically useful.

>Potential, sure. But it seems a very aggressive, progressive moving
>forward view of magic that seems completely at odds with how Gloranthan
>magic has been presented so far.

I dunno where you get the "very aggressive, progressive moving forward" from. Universities have traditionally been bastions of orthodoxy tending towards Gormenghast rather than Berkeley, CA. Many of Galileo's opponents for example were university educated scholastics.

>I think the God Learners may have done this, but this kid of "everybody
>adds to the grimoire or makes their own" thing seems not to fit at all
>with Wizardry or Sorcery or Orders as presented so far.

Which is precisely the point - there is a disconnect between what Greg writes about the Malkioni, the source cultures he has used for them (medieval europe and the greek philosophers) and how the rules actually portray them. By introducing academia, the focus of Malkionism changes from making magic books to learning and scholarship.

--Peter Metcalfe