Re: Caste

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_-oS8eD6EPeks4NsrB1DTD8_UzIsMq8jryTYGGYUzQAg8rsfZ6GfHWld0gBmOcWxMB96>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:19:22 -0000

L C:

> Now, the Rokari seem very big on "You are born in your caste and you
> stay in your caste". I'm down with that, and think it makes a nice
> evolution from a Seshnelan tradition that was big on heredity to begin
> with and then there was a nice strong reaction to God Learner
> permissiveness.

They aren't the only ones. Someone had an example of a Brithini Ruler or Wizard caste memebr who starved to death because his cook had been killed and cooking was something done by another caste, whihc is a lovely idea.

> For me, the question among the Rokari is whether or not they adjust for
> personal ability, or if you are just stuck.
> i.e. - You're a commoner. You have aptitude for magic. Can you learn
> magic, but still be legally a commoner for caste purposes, or are you
> caste-breaking if you learn magic?

I'd say that was caste-breaking. However, it all depends on the way it is interpreted. Are the wizard caste the only ones who can cast magic? I'd say no. Are they the only ones who can do funky things with magic? Yes. In Glorantha, magic is pervasive and I can't see a whole swathe of a society meing unable ot use magic at all.

The other way of looking at it is that in the Rokari system you are born to your caste, so someone in the wizard caste who is rubbish at magic cannot do anything else. Similarly, someone born to be a knight who cannot fight, hates the sight of blood and is allergic to horses needs to be put in a position where he can do no harm. I'm sure there are special posts created for exactly those kinds of people. Nobles who can't lead, however, are fine exactly where they are.

> Loskalm also seems to have a fairly rigid interpretation of caste, with
> the whole "move up through the system" approach.

Move up the System or stay where you are best suited. The Loskalmi seem to have a very mobile caste structure, but I'm sure there would be glass ceilings inplace for all sorts of people. Imagine a Simon Cowell-type figure dashing the hopes of a prospective Wizard.

> In fact, I'd be inclined to think that Ralios has a whole messed up mix
> of approaches about this.

Ralios is the heir of a lot of conflicting systems, so it would depend on which church you belonged to, which area you lived in and a whole host of other thigs.

See Ya

Simon