Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_GVf7NjxkwdIlNw-osrEXbvw39syf5PnA5BrmZD4R3Ev0AQgtuSFbGp0MLEH4kJxjx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:12:58 -0700

YGWV On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_v2-YUBzySB0-SOYOHGbxE8g-3vm6Rjw7L27u02W-qNA-moNi-OTzYpmrGe0WQoaquNePimOOpAMh.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> They aren't the only ones. Someone had an example of a Brithini Ruler or
> Wizard caste memebr who starved to death because his cook had been killed
> and cooking was something done by another caste, whihc is a lovely idea.

Yes, this is. It's a more Brithini in outlook, but quite possible for a strictly, conservative Rokaring.

> > For me, the question among the Rokari is whether or not they adjust for
> > personal ability, or if you are just stuck.
> > i.e. - You're a commoner. You have aptitude for magic. Can you learn
> > magic, but still be legally a commoner for caste purposes, or are you
> > caste-breaking if you learn magic?
>
> I'd say that was caste-breaking.

Agreed.

> However, it all depends on the way it is interpreted. Are the wizard caste
> the only ones who can cast magic? I'd say no.

I agree, since there are always personal cantrips, etc. that are used. However, when "magic" is defined as "essence energies directed in traditional ways (spells) to achieve significent changes or connections with th Essence Plane," then it is limited to priests and sorcerers.

Are they the only ones who can do funky things with magic? Yes. In
> Glorantha, magic is pervasive and I can't see a whole swathe of a society
> meing unable ot use magic at all.

Sure, but remember that whereas they may be perfectly capable, their personal opportunities to express that are (officially) zilch. Or qualify for one of the special orders.

The other way of looking at it is that in the Rokari system you are born to
> your caste, so someone in the wizard caste who is rubbish at magic cannot do
> anything else.

That is correct. This hapless individual will never advance beyond the equivalent of the Apprentice, never do magic except to assist, and perhaps spend his lifetime counting ash wands and eyes of newt, but is still in the sorcerous/priestly class.

Similarly, someone born to be a knight who cannot fight, hates the sight of
> blood and is allergic to horses needs to be put in a position where he can
> do no harm. I'm sure there are special posts created for exactly those kinds
> of people.

Sure, admin and so on. Or else, more likely, "Lump it buddy and shut up. Creator gave you those allergies for a reason. Curry that horse and get to polishing ight away and quit being so damn lazy."

Nobles who can't lead, however, are fine exactly where they are.

Everyone is fine where they are.

> > Loskalm also seems to have a fairly rigid interpretation of caste, with
> > the whole "move up through the system" approach.
>
> Move up the System or stay where you are best suited. The Loskalmi seem to
> have a very mobile caste structure, but I'm sure there would be glass
> ceilings inplace for all sorts of people. Imagine a Simon Cowell-type figure
> dashing the hopes of a prospective Wizard.

The glass ceilings have largely been shattered in the Syndic's Ban. Traditions of them are remembered of course, but that's a very old tradition in Loskalm, ditched even before the 2nd Age.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer