Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_-zPouXM6PPQciO6vms5D2r4mnSPOaF9AuaDmyWuHuJL_Wa-oEPpLq71w1lgynSuwO>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:19:11 -0700

YGWV On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM, ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_AzQJ7MqeJNxJgduSIh9lrgoVnf7kR2IaeX1W0j3BaXFNCLCUdPq3ShAEI0FVhAg60HCq18GdFefuqibcfsWIZhE0.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > And the more I think about it, the more sense it makes for many
> > Saintly
> > orders to consider themselves knights in the caste system.
>
> In most cases, knights are just members of the warrior caste. The Rokari
> don't believe in any of this Hrestoli nonsense, after all!

In Rokari lands, knights are fighting noblemen. The Sharp AB clarifies it, citing instances in myth, legend and history where the Talars fought. So in Rokari lands, the leaders can fight to. But the soldiers--they can only fight.

> the fact that the high members of the
> > order cast spells like Wizards doesn't change the fact they're
> > knights.
>
> They don't really cast spells like wizards; the saintly orders and the
> wizardry school are quite different in most respects. Sure, they cast
> spells, but in many places, even commoners can do that. They just don't get
> the range of magic that professional wizards do. (In rules terms, they
> typically have only one grimoire, whereas wizards usually have at least two,
> and often more).

Yes, and I've addressed this. The sorcerers in the Rokari Orders are not fighters, but leaders of magic.

> Even among the Rokari, that's an accurate description of the clergy. All
> the senior and mid-ranking members of the clergy are wizards, of course, and
> have the best magic, but the bottom rung includes commoners, knights, and
> nobles.

No it doesn't.
Commoners, knight/nobles and soldiers are strictly differentiated among the Rokari.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer