Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_bDOogZN9miEJ8Vl7w59rW-OVi1BQL2lZ_bcbY7nq0j8x-TuwjA33HRQeTuqzAEAnm>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:24:38 -0700

YGWV On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM, L C <lightcastle_at_XM0JMorLC_5vUsauya2l84xwcqJ9r6KBuTq-fByDlh_cLm2M_SDFrp4jOUI3bLk3oyRF6KEKUEijHnEA6A.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> >I'd say that was caste-breaking. However, it all depends on the way it
> is interpreted.
>
> Yes, and more and more I think there should be many, contradictory and
> argumentative interpretations. :-)

Sure, and in Seshnela the argumentative individuals are welcome to explose themselves this way--so much the easier for the Inquisition to gather evidence!
Take those arguments to the rotten interior of Ralios where people indulge it such!

> >Are the wizard caste the only ones who can cast magic? I'd say no. Are
> they the only ones who can do funky things with magic? Yes. In
> Glorantha, magic is pervasive and I can't see a whole swathe of a
> >society meing unable ot use magic at all.
>
> Oh agreed. In fact, I think that while mechanically, Liturgists and
> Adepts are basically the same, I think they are often perceived quite
> differently in terms of the caste system.

Among Rokari, they certainly are differentiated. One group (cleric, liturgists I mean) work for the common good by leading the people; Sorcerers, by focusing on errors in the world and fixing them.

 >The other way of looking at it is that in the Rokari system you are
> born to your caste, so someone in the wizard caste who is rubbish at
> magic cannot do anything else. Similarly, someone born to be a knight
> >who cannot fight, hates the sight of blood and is allergic to horses
> needs to be put in a position where he can do no harm. I'm sure there
> are special posts created for exactly those kinds of people.

I object only in that these are not "special posts," but a part of the inherent majority system.

> >Move up the System or stay where you are best suited. The Loskalmi
> seem to have a very mobile caste structure, but I'm sure there would be
> glass ceilings inplace for all sorts of people. Imagine a Simon
> >Cowell-type figure dashing the hopes of a prospective Wizard.
>
> Hah! I think Greg has gone on record that Loskalm post-Ban actually *is*
> egalitarian, and not a corrupt sham. Basically, they got it right while
> isolated from the real world, but now the question is can they hold onto
> it in face of the reality of the Kingdom of War.

That is correct.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer