Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_cuqfu8g3XMVh_s9-EZSNkXi8kUDXPJT8n6I8lQaqhZ0DSvee5ZGhL5gYn4QTJ8YHn>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:01:37 -0700

YGWV On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM, L C <lightcastle_at__8hIohK9YLok3NdpVFK0PY2sgXsQTE8SgNbSwEv1C_mv5ZelLYhlg-mUWBtLh58bJBRwWxRLF3Y-o6vcdnc.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> ttrotsky2 wrote in answer to me:
>
> >> For me, the question among the Rokari is whether or not they adjust for
> >> personal ability, or if you are just stuck.
>

> >In Lords of the West, I took the view that it's more complicated than
> that. Quite a lot more complicated.
>
> Lovely. I adore complicated. Could you give an example? Certainly the
> Rokari as presented have been "born in, die there".

In my Gloantha, that is the rule

The bits I can glean from Jrusteli from the 2nd Age stuff shows a
> conflict in the Middle Sea Empire with various versions of this idea. It
> seems the Jrusteli adopted a more flexible approach due to necessity,
> but the implication is that the old way was extremely inheritance-based.

The AB acknowledges difference is social classes. Interpretation of hat passage varies among practitioners.

> I'm also certain somewhere there is a group that does it by assignation
> at birth/adolescence.

Adolescence probably. Children are so flexible and changeable.

> You get tested magically/religiously/however and
> then are assigned a caste. This can be divorced entirely from your
> heritage, but you are also expected not to break it ever once assigned.

Sounds like one of the minor sects.

> In fact, I like that as an idea for a small area cut off during the ban.
> It's closed, a bit paranoid and oppressive, but it ensures all the roles
> are filled. It could be a divine lottery instead of a prayed-upon
> inspiration...
>
> Oh wait.
>
> A leftover Zistorite machine. A prayer-wheel computer of some kind. It
> assesses the needs of the community and assigns the adults coming up
> accordingly, while also assessing their magic. No one dares question
> whether it is broken - or admits its probable origins.

Such a gimmick could be, but someplace obscure. No one in the mainstream would place their destiny in the hands of a Zistorite machine.

I actually would say it exists a few places, and is one of the things
> the Rokari are trying to bring back in line with the whole "One Church,
> One King" thing.

If "it" means non-standard Rokari practices, then yes. They have the One True Way, and it works--look how old our spiritual leader is!

> Isn't a reclamation of the various noble priviliges and
> territories part of their deal? Getting rid of this sloppy and
> inappropriately holy approach to things would be in line with that.

somewhere, sure, but not a mainstream core belief.

> >Actually, the great majority of members of the saintly and priestly

It is impossible to make one statement about what Orders do, or how they are run. It differs from religion to religion.

> orders are not members of the wizard caste in most parts of the West.
> >Although there are several wizards in the priestly orders (and
> generally, they're the senior members), most wizards join wizardry
> schools instead, and very few join saintly orders.
> >The knights of Saint Gerlant, for example, aren't wizards - they're
> knights.
>
> orders to consider themselves knights in the caste system. They are
> outside the 4 castes, they do jobs according to their calling.
> And since they combine castes, the fact that the high members of the
> order cast spells like Wizards doesn't change the fact they're knights.

Among the Rokari, no one is outside the 4 castes.

I like that. In fact, I can see orders of Dormal or Xemela also being
> knights in some places - at least legally. Other places might view
> Priestly orders as simply made up of many different castes doing their
> job for one goal.

Some place this, some place that. Surel, there is a liklihood of any possible variant SOMEwhere.

> Quick question. In your view, are saintly orders more similar across
> malkioni sect lines, or different? i.e. - The Order of Gerlant -
> something that transcends Fronelan/Ralian/Seshnelan differences or
> noticeably different orders in each place, united by similarities in
> outlook?

Different.

--
Greg Stafford