Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_5T0QeJjmbjwDKTQfJSpqo6171xtVNT8-jiE4Qv3bElthXgDN-EL_xDVepHRTh3p3r>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 06:42:19 -0700

YGWV On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM, ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_MLmdJt8dco-9rfEcuA7nt-hVPw1bOXqvbQK3KqxylIquE3GsgLB4JWB8VLdjhms-VwNwraJ-EZeh0sm3bll1dtM.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> In Lords of the West, I took the view that it's more complicated than that.
> Quite a lot more complicated...

Like everywhere in Glorantha, complications arise because people do not perfectly fit the perfect model they have been presented. As a result, people fudge at the edges, etc.

> Now I know that the Priestly and Sorceror caste are basically
> > considered
> > the same thing in most of the descriptions of the West I've seen,
> > which
> > I think is something of a tragedy as I like the idea that someone
> > with
> > the talent to be a sorceror but of the wrong caste can join a
> > saintly/priestly order and not be considered to be caste breaking.
>
> Actually, the great majority of members of the saintly and priestly orders
> are not members of the wizard caste in most parts of the West. Although
> there are several wizards in the priestly orders (and generally, they're the
> senior members), most wizards join wizardry schools instead, and very few
> join saintly orders. The knights of Saint Gerlant, for example, aren't
> wizards - they're knights.

The sorcerers who lead the ceremonies and rites of the Orders are OF that Order, certainly, because they are in it. However, most will have gotten their training in other church orders, and be assigned or volunteer to serve the Orders. Among the Rokari it is impossible/forbidden for a soldier to learn sorcery.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer