Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_rXVht4mquXzqR-D9XXtYtBXpo4iTwNQJzhI_DdiIQfaMBLKoBKMovpSYm9tx-R-b9>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 06:37:37 -0700

YGWV
My computer seems to have bought its last ticket and this thread has run far while I was away. And I'm on a strange keyboard now...

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM, L C <lightcastle_at_QrWHrIaxaP20kQaO8McfEBFITAhG95qIpwbXATxPBLxCKqtLEk8Z92tEv3m7x2IF6G6X9pOYfBNR9kda-Ug.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> As long as we are discussing the West and doctrine:
>
> I was researching the use of nobility in France for a screenplay and
> came across the interesting fact that noble was an office as much as a
> bloodline in some cases.
> In fact, France has a whole mess of ways you could be noble, and lose
> nobility, etc.

Most medieval societies had something similar, and it would also depend entirely on WHEN we are talking about. But I will only address some Gloranthan issues here.

> So, naturally, I immediately decided this is how it is done in some
> parts of Glorantha.
>
> Now, the Rokari seem very big on "You are born in your caste and you
> stay in your caste". I'm down with that, and think it makes a nice
> evolution from a Seshnelan tradition that was big on heredity to begin
> with and then there was a nice strong reaction to God Learner
> permissiveness.
>
> For me, the question among the Rokari is whether or not they adjust for
> personal ability, or if you are just stuck.

Like just about everything in Glorantha (and our world for that matter), there is no one correct answer. There is always the crisis between ideals and practicality.

i.e. - You're a commoner. You have aptitude for magic. Can you learn
> magic, but still be legally a commoner for caste purposes, or are you
> caste-breaking if you learn magic?

Among Rokari, the ideal is that this is a commoner, and does not learn "magic." The fact that this farmer has an aptitude for magic is a weakness, a flaw in the world, somethign to be overcome by this hapless and miserable person who was born already condemned because of his flaws. He bears a close watching to make sure he is on the straigt and narrow.

> Both make for good stories.
> I'm inclined to think the official Rokari position is the latter.
>
> Loskalm also seems to have a fairly rigid interpretation of caste, with
> the whole "move up through the system" approach.

I disagree. Yes, they have a series of occupations that are based upon traditional classes that are based on traditional Brithini castes, but they are just that: ocupations that people can qualify for and climb the ranks entirely according to ability and luck.

These two huge, "monotheistic" churches are polar opposites in their approac to this issue.

> I think I'd put the whole "offices can impart nobility" mixed in with
> some hereditary and some the office is noble, and if you keep it three
> generations you stay noble even if the office is stripped from you, etc.
> complications in Ralios.

Not in my Loskalm. Sorry. The entire issue of nobility is in question in Loskalm. It is a job with serious responsibilities, but not hereditary by any legal mans.

> In fact, I'd be inclined to think that Ralios has a whole messed up mix
> of approaches about this.

It is impossible to say any one thing about the peoples of Ralios except that they follow a dazzling or depressing array of options that are considered dangerous by other Malkioni.

> Then again, I suspect Fronela does too, although there I think it is due
> to the fracturing of the Ban. I like the idea of putting the "you can do
> whatever job you need to do, but your legal obligations remain tied to
> your birth caste" somewhere in the stubborn yet practical Fronelan side.

Sure, but this is not a Loskalmi belief.

> Now I know that the Priestly and Sorceror caste are basically considered
> the same thing in most of the descriptions of the West I've seen, which

Yes, though the AB does go some distance to defining priestly roles, a function that did not exist separately from the magicians among the Brithini. The Brithini, see, are permanently linked up with the magical planes and do not need any re-legio practices to be and stay there.

The major difference is that the priests' job is to serve the people, providing a link between them and the magical planes (or, in the case of the Rokari, between the people and the church administration that provides the connection.)

> I think is something of a tragedy as I like the idea that someone with
> the talent to be a sorceror but of the wrong caste can join a
> saintly/priestly order and not be considered to be caste breaking.

Yes, such is possible with some of the Orders, which are created in large part to channel people towards a utilitarian occupation.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer