Re: Caste

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_xiZZMNxXffp2ZmLQpjTeh6mA8lmSdV0mvKmI3Foe1a_hj97aNgT8m0cUjAO2qdcIEc>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:39:43 +1000

ASIDE: 2009/7/6 L C <lightcastle_at_KFWY50Sq-FcZYTq3VAgsN65Ch8cFwZucAnZpD2yaW1r32XnKgWRcgbO9jTKvkmg-9UiDKZNPb-LcHlOZ-ykvfA.yahoo.invalid>
> In fact, I like that as an idea for a small area cut off during the ban.
> It's closed, a bit paranoid and oppressive, but it ensures all the roles
> are filled. It could be a divine lottery instead of a prayed-upon
> inspiration...

Very Jorge Luis Borges! I like it. Could also be be weird GL experiments into randomness/(social) mobility too. I don't know much about the East, but it could maybe be an exotic local political process too.

> Oh wait.
>
> A leftover Zistorite machine. A prayer-wheel computer of some kind. It
> assesses the needs of the community and assigns the adults coming up
> accordingly, while also assessing their magic. No one dares question
> whether it is broken - or admits its probable origins.

"The ruby had trembled, the tourmaline failed, the diamond passed unssuported. Thus, a woman was born doomed."

Now it sounds more Cordwainer Smith... :)

--
John Machin