Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_zXVlREBTAmwz58ZnMtIzb1nU4MjaibwjNI025VisMkYeJ-8JLsa5op8Nn_jCVYA9Q>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 07:36:54 -0700

YGWV On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_xmZSYZIQ4k3F4j11IezpoA6JBC-UvngQZiybV6l0MdnxcaV7nBf71-NQLBhynOqauCFFFjT-hmA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > Liturgists are not automatically clergymen, and many have

--snip---

> I am beginning to think we should go with the title of "Reader" or
"Teacher" rather than liturgist (which has probably far too many
> misleading Christian connotations). A Reader or Teacher is someone who
reads out the Abiding Book (or other scripture) to the
> worshippers of the Invisible God.

I've never been entirely satisfied with Liturgist. There is always a danger of using a word in the "old sense" of the word, or giving a specific meaning to an otherwise general word.
Teacher doesn't work, really, since teaching isn't high on their list of duties.
Reader is better, sort of. Except that many of these people are not readers at all, just accessors to the Essence Planes. They are neither Monotheists, Malkioni or westerners, and they do not work from any widely-known liturgy or scripture. But when trying to come up with a term that covers those lone bush pastors abd the
Perhaps some sort of double-speak term like Pastor or Shepherd is used. Maybe something like "falconer" since his job is not to just lead the flock, but to teach them to fly to heaven.

One important point is that *liturgist* is a GAME TERM, not a Gloranthan term; so in some sense, it doesn't matter what the word is.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer