HQ Core - new rune rules

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_UdBIyO-GJ4AQXskiIXK_S5wmgp7gd4TrcUMs5UNzgjS64guN1tl2aHbU0TTV3rSZ>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:26:23 +0100

With all these discussions on who has what rune, I'm aware from the Sartar book drafts that there is now a bit more to the gods' runes than before. (I'm also aware these are new rules mechanics so disregard them if you want).

You might find it easier with these to match runes with Gods.

There is the number of runes a god has. Greater gods have three (e.g. Orlanth: Air, Change, Mastery & Ernalda: Earth, Fertility, Harmony). Major Gods have two (e.g. Lhankor Mhy: Law, Truth and Urox: Storm, Eternal Battle). Minor Gods have one (e.g. Roitina: Harmony and Destor: Movement).

There is also the idea that you can only approach some gods from one of their runes. Humakt is a good example of this. The Death rune is his primary, so you can be an initiate if you get this at 1W1 or higher, but you can't be an initiate just by having the truth rune at 1W1 or higher. Humakt has the truth rune but only regarding oaths and honour, it's not complete.

It also becomes clear that Humakt's subcults should only be based on the Death rune.

The difference is between having a rune and having it as an incomplete rune is not clear in the rules until you read the cult write up. I'd propose that to show the difference that the incomplete rune be put in brackets. So Humakt wold be Death and (Truth).

Finally in Sartar the runes also provide character traits, e.g. Stasis gives Stubborn, inflexible, exacting and Life gives Generous, lustful. These traits are part of your rune not separate like in Pendragon, but the idea is the same. As for example you storm rune rises so does your Passionate, proud, unpredictable & violent. I'm not sure how this will work with other pantheons, but I'm sure they will be different in some cases. Perhaps the pantheons runes need their cultural traits defined first. Remember that characters can choose any runes to start with. Then you match the gods to the characters runes, not the other way round as in RQ. It's the runes that define the character not the Gods - So an Orlanth warrior could have Storm 15W, Illusion 17 and Stasis 13 and still be an Orlanth worshipper.

I'm sure Jeff can provide a few more examples of all these new ideas.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433