Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_uzpTfVtLqMaI1VU-Jcl0Gvkp0c-CWeCQZSVXSzBPfx_B_l5rRNfrEj9qdQRla8hjdHc4>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:41:48 -0000

> I have actually wondered what the term "minor" means? Is he minor in
> his original pantheon, or is he minor to the Sartarites when compared
> with Orlanth, or is he minor in some objective power scale?

All of the above.

> And if the last, what objective power scale? How widespread his myths
> are? I'm getting a sort of "Deities and Demigods" feel from this use
> of the term 'minor', and it doesn't feel good.

Some gods are greater than others. They have more powers, more myths, more geographical scope, more cosmic significance. Doburdan is a minor Air god of mythic significance only to the Pelorians (and even that is not much). The Orlanthi (should they care to ponder the subject) probably shrug and say that Dobbie is just a Thunder Brother who was captured and enslaved by Yelm and forced to serve him. His few worshippers in Dragon Pass say that some Air is better than none.

Yelm is a Great God. Without Yelm, Glorantha would not be recognizable. Even the Orlanthi acknowledge Yelm's cosmic significance.

Yinkin is a minor god. Without Yinkin, there would not be alynxes. And, other than the Orlanthi, few would notice.

Jeff

Jeff