Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_DgrzWu7BMvoubc-kP9aVXl6xVGyTvzVcKIlkm8q8t-HBgSXFgu7Znl1cB1bxhL3h-D>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:16:58 +1000

2009/7/30 Jeff Richard <richaje_at_lyVj0QqAKjqZXtr5MjGqux94VowECL1GpOitfKcpezxTgpQYG09YnkB2em3w6Kbl7mToyFC7p4IFhk4.yahoo.invalid>:
> Some gods are greater than others. They have more powers, more myths, more
> geographical scope, more cosmic significance. Doburdan is a minor Air god of
> mythic significance only to the Pelorians (and even that is not much). The
> Orlanthi (should they care to ponder the subject) probably shrug and say
> that Dobbie is just a Thunder Brother who was captured and enslaved by Yelm
> and forced to serve him. His few worshippers in Dragon Pass say that some
> Air is better than none.
>
> Yelm is a Great God. Without Yelm, Glorantha would not be recognizable. Even
> the Orlanthi acknowledge Yelm's cosmic significance.
>
> Yinkin is a minor god. Without Yinkin, there would not be alynxes. And,
> other than the Orlanthi, few would notice.

Thanks Jeff; I like the interpretation of Dorburdun as a "lost" TB and might have to use a spin on that amongst the converted clans in my Dragon Pass campaign.

I also get the idea that "importance" *is* linked to the widespread nature of the myths. Dorburdun hangs about not doing much, whereas Orlanth (and Yelm for that matter) are said to rule their own pantheons and are major baddies in other pantheons. Whether the myths are spread because of great power and influence in the Godtime or vice-versa is largely irrelevant IMO.
What happens in the Godtime, stays in the Godtime.

I'm still not really happy with the approach of saying "This god has runes x y and z, objectively"; Yelm might be unquestionably associated with the Sun, and Orlanth with Storm, but I think hammering down other runes is fraught with peril - and also a bit boring. I like that Orlanth, great god that he is, might have Motion and Mastery to the Sartarites, but have Death and Disorder to the Dara Happans. Orlanth did cause death and trouble in some of the myths about him so I can't really imagine that this (hypothetical) Dara Happan perspective is inconceivable.

Cheers,

--
John Machin