Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_J_V6lByPGvrIURHMRoVC-y3r3B6yqzY7vO37_Oa2ZIGd8T8AV1roMyym_vvW5gf_x_>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:33:42 +1000

2009/7/31 Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_r-39x41pPGVRTUpsXP9l5a4CsdMCkjXmmdBscLDrpV0hziAJnNkkq47A5OELRKPAVYwx6__GKc9yAcIaVEzCXq8_Eg.yahoo.invalid>:
> Glorantha having 'deities' and 'demigods' is not new. The idea of three
> divisions of gods is at least as old as RQ2 (which iirc makes it older than
> Jeff):

FWIW according to P&P Runequest 2 was 1980, which gives it a ~50% chance of being older than me.

<snip!>

> Maybe the answer is to have two levels of runic assocation:
> A system of primary runes, the runes which denote the magic that a god can
> give to its followers (to which the system of ranking the gods using  'three
> runes', 'two runes' and 'one rune' applies); but
> A separate means of using another rune or two to describe (and limit?) the
> kinds of feats that a god's association with his/her primary rune(s) allows
> its worshippers to perform?

I like the idea of a 'runic phrase' explaining the god's powers in a more subtle way - I just think that in many cases its more important to come at this "bottom-up" (from the cultures viewing, interpreting, and making use of the otherworldly entity) rather than "top-down" (authoritatively and exhaustively describing the entities magical capacities).

Rune-phrases (why do I keep thinking of n-triples?) only present one big problem to me: how do you depict them? Brackets? Hyphens? Main runes inset with descriptive runes?

> Or maybe this is just another of my eccentric ideas ...

Add innovative to that too, I think. Delete eccentric if you feel it necessary. ;)

--
John Machin