Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_A5QNm29AZZt6eMMIk3rsuOtP3eR5sjvGITz2Ap4uEqluard8GhFAhmQY5>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:40:17 -0000

> Barntar is a son of Orlanth and Ernalda, and I can see him as the child that takes to the Earth side of his heritage, as Vinga takes to the Air side.

Hmmm. Vinga is to Orlanth as Nandan is to Ernalda - how people cross gender roles in society. So Vinga is how women worship Orlanth and Nandan how men worship Ernalda.

Barntar is the ploughman. The plough is the male phallus because it penetrates the female earth for the sowing of seed. For the Orlanthi the male principle is Air, the female Earth. Barntar is not men doing women's work, he is the personification of men's farm work. Barntar is the Orlanthi plough.

So IMO Barntar is Air not Earth.

Don't forget that Barntar is a refuge for many Orlanthi men during the Occupation, a 'tame' air like Doburdun.