Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: donald_at_jk1C5y8uVIJPMR05Qnp5tZXOknlCD_5ya_Ld8_KkCKeO4MdYyAG1Ja-uZIPkm1xSrI538
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:09:47 GMT

In message <h53pqf+m3na_at_eGroups.com> "ttrotsky2" writes:

>> Barntar and Farming
>> It is often mistakenly assumed that Barntar is associated with the
>> Earth Rune. Plowing is actually associated with Air and Movement
>> the plow turns the Earth and exposes it to the Air. Barntar is the
>> tie between Earth and Air. He does not ripen the crops; he merely
>> creates the right conditions where it is possible that they can grow.
>
>YGWV, but I can't say I find that a very convincing argument.

It makes perfect sense in the context of Heortling cultural assumptions. Men are by default tied to the Air rune. Barntar is a man so even though he works with the earth he's an air god. Jeff's argument is the rationalisation a Heortling would use if called on to do so.

In another culture different arguments would apply.

--
Donald Oddy - who has read too much theology
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/