Re: Esrolian agricultural deities

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_FXM4kxF_ii2tPpp_VVq6VghlZvaww6Pf524oTqmUYA9lBo1q26n7eRraU-GNSUmFTBsl>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 07:00:04 -0000

> Just splitting this off in the interest of good Subject-field
> metadata. I hope you don't mind Jeff.

No problem!

> > Esrolian agriculture is very similar to that of the Hendrikings and the
> > Esrolians celebrate Barntar as he was burnt outside of the city of Nochet.
> > However, the Grandmothers hold Esrola the Grower to be far more important
> > than Barntar the Plow God.
>
> Are men able to initiate to Esrola (not likely I imagine!) or to one
> of her male "helpers", or do they just use their common magic and work
> harder?

Most Esrolian men are strongly associated with the Air rune (men are "short tempered and prone to violence, selfish and unable to keep promises... They love glory rather than true accomplishments... They are too warlike at heart..." and so on). They are, in short, Orlanthi men. Men have their own cults, gods, and so on. However, Barntar is worshipped as an independent god, not a subcult of Orlanth.

Men participate in the worship of Esrola, Ernalda, and the other goddess, but are not privy to the secrets of the goddesses. Again, this is just like other Orlanthi. The difference is that the cults of the goddesses are far more important politically, religiously, and socially than the various men's cults.

Keep in mind that there are two main religious centers in Esrolia: Ezel and Nochet. Ezel is religiously more important, but Nochet is socially and political more important.

BTW, there are many war gods who serve the goddess (and the Grandmothers). These are called the Noble Brothers and include: Deresagar, a son of Argan Argar
Nolerianmar, a son of Elmal
Harasarl, a son of Orlanth
Helamakt, a son of Orlanth
Kalavan, a son of Veskarthan