Re: Runes of the Oronin Valley: the Bulls

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_5wt5srqjVM6YlE5oMDxlnGWvbIiPX5969tdjDqSi5oFu-D6IM_HZiy8bxzfiHFcX-WTmMU>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:48:16 +0100

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> Daxdarius - Phalanx Warfare and Sieges

The Carmanians as the cavalry lords of Pelanda. I think they would leave Daxdarius to the subject (peasant) infantry garrisons.

> Humakt - overall god of war and death
> Kargzant - Light Cavalry from Lendarsh

Lendarsh seems more important than Kargzant, and Lendarsh seems peaceful, so I can't see either Kargzant or Lendarsh providing effective cavalry forces; good for couriers and scouting, but not much else.

> ChekTuros - Fights in the hills so I suspect Peltasts, which would fit
> in nicely with the cult's rivalry with Daxdarius.

IMG, the god of defensive siege warfare, fortifications and military architecture (he digs a ditch to protect his wife). I believe peltasts would worship a hunting deity (Kenstrata).

> Durbaddath - Lion warriors (but not next to the Bisosi)

Chivalric warriors, but not soldiers, I feel.

> The only real Lacunae is heavy cavalry which the Carmanians introduced.

This is actually what I was asking about.

> I'm tempted to make this Syranthir himself.

OTOH, Humakt already has western connections, so The 10000 might have known something of Humakt before their arrival. I'd be tempted to choose Humakt, just to avoid introducing another deity.