Re: Runes of the Oronin Valley: the Bulls

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at__p2Wp0KBUaZGi9ROiYIeK0pr-o6zbOjpauZh64e7htN0EW7EqS3sTAya7v0hFeBavik>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:23:59 +1200

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> Peter Metcalfe wrote:

>> Daxdarius - Phalanx Warfare and Sieges

> The Carmanians as the cavalry lords of Pelanda. I think they would leave
> Daxdarius to the subject (peasant) infantry garrisons.

Cavalry alone doesn't win wars. If the Carmanians use Daxdarian cultists for garrison duty, they are wasting their assets.

>> Kargzant - Light Cavalry from Lendarsh

> Lendarsh seems more important than Kargzant, and Lendarsh seems
> peaceful,

He's only seems important because the Entekosiad describes what he did during the Gray Age. In truth, he's a hero and Kargzant is the god of the invading horsman.

> so I can't see either Kargzant or Lendarsh providing effective
> cavalry forces; good for couriers and scouting, but not much else.

Light cavalry is effective in battle in the same way that impalas are effective in battle. They move faster than everybody else and take advantage of the enemy's mistakes before he has a chance to remedy them. They won't attack a prepared phalanx and will get wasted if they if thy go head to head with heavy cavalry. But for attacking disorganized troops, they are useful.

  >> I'm tempted to make [the god of heavy horse]s Syranthir himself.

> OTOH, Humakt already has western connections, so The 10000 might have
> known something of Humakt before their arrival. I'd be tempted to choose
> Humakt, just to avoid introducing another deity.

Humakt doesn't ride a horse in his mythology so it's a bit of a stretch to make him a god of cataphracts.

--Peter Metcalfe