Re: Hwarin Dalthippa - the Conquering Daughter

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ZWbdQyuip6vBolZwypwYl-yLSBEZX8KsA-4A1GHSJAWbnQcw0QSWksMvpDNoissjZDT>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 19:00:40 +1200

John Machin wrote:

> Approaching from her ILH2 affinities (Build/Conquest/Steward for those that
> lack it):
> CONQUEST: seems a bit like a subset of Mastery, rather than Death (i.e.
> Combat) to me.

Mastery denotes "Leadership, authority, sovereignty" according to HQ2. It's stretch to get combat magics from that. Death might be better and would have been acceptable in the original writeup (however I suspect the writers were getting sick and tired of assigning death runes to all fighting deities).

> STEWARD: again, could be a subset of Mastery, but might be Harmony, might be
> Earth.

I don't think she should get a steward rune because she does sod-all when it comes to domestic happiness.

> BUILD: Stasis perhaps? But this seems wrong given she rushed about invading
> people. Earth?

The craft rune is a combination of Law and Stasis but as it is it's a stretch to claim stasis is about building things and Law is not defined in HQ2.

> Reading the description in ILH2 there is some stuff about placating the
> Earth spirits of Rist (Harmony, Earth) and marrying Ingkot and converting
> the clans (Harmony, Communication).

Rist was actually razed by the Moonburn so earth isn't exactly the appropriate rune there (nor is it clear to me why she would have to have the earth rune in order to placate angry spirits). Secondly she conquered more clans than she converted - She's known as the Conquering Daughter rather than the Prosetylising Daughter.

> It occurs to me that Hwarin's moon-ness is mostly via her father, and she
> was probably a "demigod hero" in life before her Self Journey. Therefore
> Moon like a good potential candidate.

> So, from the core runes in HQ2: Moon, Mastery, Harmony? I wonder about
> Earth, but Earth + Moon probably gives various experts a case of the
> conniptions.

First of, you are giving her too many runes - she should only have two.   at the most. Given the important things that she did, this boils down to two things - 1) building the bridges and the city 2) conquering a lot of places. Secondly merely because she is a lunar deity does not mean that she should have the Moon rune. Otherwise two-rune lunar deities are going to have room for only one rune and one-rune lunar deities are only going to have one rune, the moon rune.

--Peter Metcalfe