Re: Runes of the East Isles gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_CPYC6y-DmSgZt__z1d4vEO7KmXImewuNixZTLm6wQIrOdn0bDt6xQbiBEcsro_QS0Wy>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:53:46 +1200

nils_w wrote:

> Hmm, three things here:

> * Obviously Cosmic Order isn't a good name > * The Parloth don't have the full rune

The question is what runes would they have in the HQ2.0/God Learner scheme of things. Inventing a brand new rune doesn't seem appropriate to me and I've never heard of a deity having half a rune before.

> * I'm wary of the Storm Tribe vs Chaos analogy, but this makes
>   me more convinced that Vith's "Cosmic Order" is not Law, but
>   something else, less compelling and more moral perhaps.

In which case it's integral to the Pantheon and is not something that should be specifically had by each and every deity within that pantheon.

>> If you really want to indicate the mind-blowing awesomeness of Vith and
>> like Gods then the best rune is the Infinity Rune. Only the Avanparloth
>> will have these - the ordinary Parloth won't and the Parondpara will be
>> scratching their heads wondering what an infinity rune is.

> Actually, mind-blowing awesomeness is not what I'm after,
> so there must be something lacking in my presentation. See
> above rambling on what I'm trying to express with "Cosmic
> Order".

What's wrong with the Infinity Rune? Vith isn't about teaching Cosmic Order but maintaining consciousness with the ineffable.

>> Another way of indicating the difference between the Parloth and the
>> Adpara (the Good Guys and the Bad Guys) would be to have Good Runes and
>> Bad Runes. Thus Illusion is a Bad Rune being held by Avanapdur. Light
>> is a Good Rune and thus one who holds it is by definition a Good God and
>> so forth

> But that won't quite work, as there are runes which are used > by both Gods and Antigods.

I didn't say all runes should be split into Good Runes and Bad Runes. I just pointed out that the Parloth (Gods) would not have some runes and the Adpara (Antigods) another.

--Peter Metcalfe