Gloranthan Sea Birds

From: Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_gdRS1V0rCDkVWQNV2xIQQ0wmP2DnGFa59iQb5gSwqcKBLKyaicl7SLS5Mg2wPI3X6Hg>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:29:37 +0800

Erm,

Did the closing affect sea birds such as Albatrosses (or their Gloranthan equivalents) and other bird life that fly out to sea or stay on the wing over the sea. As the closing expanded out from Brithos (in the Neliomi Sea*)which is north of Seshnela (and the Vadeli Isles) its leading edge would be /Ge going around the tip of Seshnela and \Ge prior. This would indicate that bird life would have been swept out to sea throughout Wenelia. I cannot remember a reference as to exactly how fast it expanded, but I would guess that all seabirds out to sea (past the tip of Seshnela) would have been caught by this and not been able to reach land.

The leading edge of the closing would have been pretty turbulent and probably slain anything above the sea that tried to get thru it. This would then lead on that pretty much all bird life caught over sea would have died. Albatrosses may have been able to stay in the air and presumable fly faster than the closing, suggesting that a significant quantity were banished from Genertela and forced to exist in Pamaltela, Teleos** and the East Isles. The problem then leads on to whether these aquatic birds could get ever get back to sea, after the closing past them by, and if they can now? If not the Alb's would have died out as they could not have survived - same as the Three Step Isle Dodo.

So after the Closing were all sea bird life was limited to a couple of hundred feet/meters off any particular coast. This might be alright for the East Isles (a avian (bird/keet) haven) but elsewhere a complete ecosystem (sea going bird life) would have been annihilated. Or did the closing not affect sea birds? Otherwise I'm picturing Dormal in one of those 'Micro-light' Planes teaching a Sea Eagles, Puffins, Seagulls the rituals so that it need not fear the Sea - busy guy that Dormal.

I recall some mention that some/one Godlearner Sorcerer made it back to Seshnela or such after the closing / destruction of Justela. Could this have been done by him being able to change form into a seabird (Assuming they were unaffected or minimally so by a Brithini curse targeting humans(?) not avians) and fly north to Seshnela. One might say that a human not experienced in a bird form would get pretty tired being on the wing for the 2000Km's or so back to Seshnela. So, of the few Sorcerers that could change shape to birds, very few had the physical stamina to succeed - suggesting at most a hand full made it back. God learners with power over Orlanthi flying magics (cf Elmalandti Bluespice the Disciple of Ohoranth) would have been brought down by the Closing as you could only evade the closing by taking a bird shape.

Other thingz

Did the closing affect sea life at all? Have all the Merman civilizations had a good 600 year break from surface shipping. If so they must be very inquisitive about these humans rather than aggressive as they (remember in the histories about the Waertagi and Justelans but) have not seem them for 'Ages'. Even the Luatha must be getting a little bored - still remembering the fun they had putting a cap in the ass of that particularly irritating Seshnelan paparazzo that put his nose in a little too far, got those compromising sketches of Bob the Luatha, who decided with a couple of mates to blow up his country - whose laughing now.

Were the Waertagi city ships that escaped down Magasta's pool the Galactica and the Pegasus?

What about the lone City ship that never made it and was left on the surface, having been land bound these last 700 years by the closing, still fearing the Justelan Admiralty - the City Ship Dresden captained by the fabled Canaris.

If the closing only affected humans, have the elves, trolls and dwarves been very (relatively) active on the seas. This being how they made it across and colonized the shattered landmass of Justela - the Trolls maybe not by ships, but possible by the underworld or lead zeppelins.

Thanks Andre got my HQ2 & BoS on the 10th August. You were right 10 weeks!

Enough

Sean

> Do ducks, puffins, seagulls and
> penguins exist as small water-living birds (some of which fly),

Yes

> or are all
> such creatures affected by the curse/blessing that created Ducks and
Keets?

No