Re: Gloranthan Sea Birds

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_eyG4clVcaxaNa5ARxYQJlt5HZRq50fkoo1R2Sg3H4q7cyxn0PnSBUuSyZHmCGDVex>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:17:27 -0700

YGWV On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_h1dYQ_BCbrM43OYVMl1WIOedOfIHgi3GakhdXC5-awSXAeod2MtNkRPhnn0Dk-b5Yp9XoQMtQXUZYf4nj5g.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Did the closing affect sea birds such as Albatrosses (or their Gloranthan
> equivalents) and other bird life that fly out to sea or stay on the wing
> over the sea.

No.

> As the closing expanded out from Brithos (in the Neliomi
> Sea*) which is north of Seshnela (and the Vadeli Isles) its leading edge
> would be /Ge going around the tip of Seshnela and \Ge prior. This would
> indicate that bird life would have been swept out to sea throughout
> Wenelia.

Except they were not.

> I cannot remember a reference as to exactly how fast it expanded, but I
> would guess that all seabirds out to sea (past the tip of Seshnela) would
> have been caught by this and not been able to reach land.

This is mapped, though I don't have it with me. It was rather slow.

> The leading edge of the closing would have been pretty turbulent and
> probably slain anything above the sea that tried to get thru it. This
> would
> then lead on that pretty much all bird life caught over sea would have
> died.

Unless they flew over it, or went under it.  I have clipped a quantity of text that is thus not relevant

I recall some mention that some/one Godlearner Sorcerer made it back to
> Seshnela or such after the closing / destruction of Justela.

Would you cite this source for me?

> Did the closing affect sea life at all?

No.

> Have all the Merman civilizations
> had a good 600 year break from surface shipping.

Yes.

> If so they must be very
> inquisitive about these humans rather than aggressive as they (remember in
> the histories about the Waertagi and Justelans but) have not seem them for
> 'Ages'.

The Elder Races have very, very long memories. You can not state what "all the Mermen" have ever done in one non-conflicting sentence. Not only are the different races sometimes hostile to each other, but ifferent tribes within one race are often hostile to each other.

> Were the Waertagi city ships that escaped down Magasta's pool the Galactica
> and the Pegasus?

:-D

> What about the lone City ship that never made it and was left on the
> surface, having been land bound these last 700 years by the closing, still
> fearing the Justelan Admiralty - the City Ship Dresden captained by the
> fabled Canaris.

Grounded Waertagi survived in several places, notably Sog City.

> If the closing only affected humans,

It affected all surface going ships and other constructed vessels.

have the elves, trolls and dwarves been
> very (relatively) active on the seas.

Nope, not at all. They too hae been blocked.

> This being how they made it across
> and colonized the shattered landmass of Justela - the Trolls maybe not by
> ships, but possible by the underworld or lead zeppelins.

The residents of Jrustela are not quite sure how they got there. Each race has a couple of stories, which they admit (to themselves) are tentative, not proven.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer