Interview with Jeff Richard

From: gregory_molle <molle.gregory_at_qFx6kjwSb0x-JxePXa78rzSHiIKUreF7-MfPmjHryNWt7iteUBH9DfpIHoC-DI>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 08:03:55 -0000

Hi,

You'll find an interview with Jeff Richard on the french website Le Grog (http://www.legrog.org/article.jsp?id=200). Of course, it's about HeroQuest, Glorantha and Moon Design.

This is an english translation (the french version is a bit reorganized and augmented) :

===

Q :Hello Jeff, who are you ?

A : Hi there ! I'm Jeff Richard, with Moon Design LLC. I've worn a lot of hats over the years, Government Policy Analyst, Prosecuting Attorney, Corporate Lawyer, and now... game publisher.

I've been playing roleplaying games since I first saw the 1st edition AD&D Monster Manual back in 1977 (ironically an old friend of mine wrote the new 4th edition Monster Manual). I started playing RuneQuest in 1980 when I moved to Seattle ; it was introduced to me as the game where you could even play a were-pig! My Lanbril thief stole from Duke Raus of Rone (and then ironically worked for him when Borderlands came out) until he finally met his end trying to steal from the Unicorn Riders. However, it was after I did an archeological study project some years later while in university that I really fell in love with Glorantha. Mycenae, the Acrocorinth, Dodona, Knossos, the Necromanteoin, and the Diktaean Caves – these places all color my Glorantha.

I started writing Gloranthan material with David Dunham in Enclosure. We wrote PenDragon Pass for Enclosure 1 and then went on to Enclosure 2. Wrote some stuff for Tales as well, if I remember. Then Greg Stafford roped me into helping me write his background book for the Jrusteli Empire, Middle Sea Empire, his history of Heortland, History of the Heortling People, and Esrolia, the Esrolia Book.

I love the new HeroQuest Core Rules – it is very close to what Robin Laws originally wrote some ten years ago. Without a doubt it is my current favorite RPG. Other favorites include Pendragon, which I still marvel at its elegance, and Call of Cthulhu. I occasionally play a little Ars Magica, D&D 4E or various White Wolf games.

Q : What - or who - is Moon Design Publication today ?