Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_gwcOTepI2MSSq92CAgLzZmzrjKGpk0rP5ztXj-MIjTAh29pEWIuFzhs3630suzGte_u>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:01:06 +1200

chrphrgrv wrote:

> Do you happen to recall the source material for the reappearance of
> Sun Dome Temples in 562 ST I would like to read more.

There isn't more to read. Uz Lore (in Troll Pak) merely states that the Sun Domers defeated the Uz in Holay and that defeated inspired the Orlanthi to try harder to overthrow the shackles of the Uz.

> Reappearance from when?

Sun Dome Temples first appear in Rinliddi (at least according to the sources) being dedicated to the God Antirius. During the Gbaji Wars they then become associated with the worship of Daysenervus and Sun Dome Temples are placed over centres of (former) Heortling resistance. Most of these temples were later destroyed by Arkat and the victorious Orlanthi.

> Second, the Darra Happans were at least temporarily co-opted by
> the EWF by 770 ST -Darra Happa Stirs p.10 The EWF decline does
> not begin until after 875 -Glorantha Book page 23.

The EWF "decline" refers to the decline in physical territory rather than a decline in moral integrity (although it's too easy to conclude the former directly results from the latter).

> For these reasons it seems at least possible that one or more
> temples worshiping Yelm in some guise does indeed exist in Dragon
> Pass and why not in Far Point. In fact what better location?

Except that Yelm is not the type of God whose worship is easily transplanted. It would require a substantial permanent population of Dara Happans existing for a suitable length of time before anybody would consider raising an authentic Dara Happan Temple to Yelm. This is not to say that there are no temples to Yelm in Dragon Pass before the Dragon Kill but that it is rather unlikely.

--Peter Metcalfe