Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: jeffrichard68 <richaje_at_JTHVzxgxmk5QE33rAn6DRLB9CAePfLMaAvayG4v2P6FbODXU1ioV-3G-uRn502ncCwwU>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 07:07:11 -0000

> Has the explanation for Yelmalian folk along the Zola Fel as published in Sun County and in Pavis and the Big Rubble no longer in standing?

Nope. History of the Heortling Peoples reinforces it.

> Personally, I do have a problem with referencing to a Sun Dome temple in Dragon Pass in 877 ST. I assume it does not actually have to be a Sun Dome temple. They do at a minimum have to be Yelm worshiping mercenaries. They have to be Yelm worshiping because eventually they become Yelmalians even before there is Darra Happan influence through the advancing Luner Empire.

> First, Alda Chur seems to have grown by being on or close to a number of trade routes during peaceful times in all three ages.

In the First Age, Greg's maps how the area that is now Alda Chur as wilderness. Everything north of the Creek and east of the River is Dragonewt land. I doubt it was even settled by humans.

Later, it is possible that Palango built a fort on the Sharl Plateau to reinforce Vaantar and to watch the dragonewts of Horshassu.

In the Second Age, there was no major settlement at Alda Chur. That does not rule out a minor settlement.

In the Third Age, Alda Chur first appears as the center of a militarily powerful confederation of Tarshite tribes. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the Aldachuri were anything other than typical Tarshite Orlanthi.

It is with the arrival of Sartar that Aldachur becomes an important trade location. Prior to Sartar, the fractious and feuding Quivini tribes were simply too dangerous for most traders. With Sartar protecting long-distance traders, Alda Chur becomes a good place for trade between Peloria and Kethaela. During the reign of Prince Terasarin, Aldachur joins the kingdom of Sartar. The royal road dates to that time, as does the walls and towers of Aldachur.

> For these reasons it seems at least possible that one or more temples worshiping Yelm in some guise does indeed exist in Dragon Pass and why not in Far Point. In fact what better location?

The most important solar holy place in Sartar is Vaantar, which was founded by Palangio (and is the center of the Yelmalio cult). Even that was not a Yelm temple.

FWIW, Greg and I wrote "History of the Heortling People" to help answer many of those deep background questions about First and Second Age Dragon Pass. Start with that book (now available as a pdf at glorantha.com).

Jeff