Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_yiRDdrSKQFNwhjlx4hCrAr-SXlxKLMOdGpunK0KVttMKDa9fqzMGBlXgmBk9elzpPm1>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:37:48 +1200

chrphrgrv wrote:
> OK, straighten me out on this: Isn't Yelm what most cultures (at
> least in central Genertela) call the ball of light and flame that
> travels across the sky every day?

No. The Sun is known by...

...the Dara Happans as Yelm.
...the Orlanthi as Elmal.
...the Malkioni as Ehilm.
...the Teshnans as Somash.
...the Pentans and the Grazers as Kargzant.
...the Carmanians as Ersonmoda.
...the Esrolians as Harono.
...the Aldryami as Halamalao.
...the Uz as Death.
...the Praxians as Yamsur, Bright Treasure or Sun Hawk

 > don't these Theyelans know the competing myths about god
> time that give rise to the Lightbringers??

The Lightbringers in their own mythology did not intend to bring back Yelm. They attempted to end the Gods War which brought light and peace back to the World. To do that, Orlanth made peace with his worst (lawful) enemy - the Emperor. It is only in the God Learner retelling of the myth that Orlanth explicitly sets out to restore the Sun Yelm.

> Doesn't the major
> difference consist of whether the Lightbringers saved Yelm or whether
> Yelm saved himself?

No.

--Peter Metcalfe