Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: chrphrgrv <chrphrgrv_at_6LLbRE_PfQ5hy2uiNGCk7kFbtU-E_Ce27A1YfpiIvRZqKo8LsOChZd27abzO7CqCUQ>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 02:12:33 -0000

OK, straighten me out on this: Isn't Yelm what most cultures (at least in central Genertela) call the ball of light and flame that travels across the sky every day? Don't most Orlanthi believe that this ball is Yelm? I realize there are many groups who are not very aware of anything much beyond their own valley or hunting grounds; but for the more powerful, possibly for urban people or the nobility, the few who run caravans long distances and those who have some learning, don't these Theyelans know the competing myths about god time that give rise to the Lightbringers?? Doesn't the major difference consist of whether the Lightbringers saved Yelm or whether Yelm saved himself? Many people might not worship Yelm but they are at least vaguely aware that there is a different mythic story that is in competition with there own. Or is the Sun called by a different name and Yelm is merely a term used in Darra Happa? If this is so, to refer to this entity as the sun is not good enough. What is the Orlanthi word for the mythical charioteer that crosses the sky since the great comprimise?