Re: North, South, East and West

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_D_UCXC0qMKKZC8m6lPWSOLhpV0k81TiYWlBxaIMH0xsdHg01JYSZXWSMpZMnnkX3n>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:11:47 -0700

YGWV
Sorry for the sporadic communications.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM, chrphrgrv <chrphrgrv_at_wAZWgwULHGgBt-NErbkoeCTZCHzvq3-SK1hLGcU0bvzbWEBrpUFkqBBJAmo3F5MREk6llRb7-wN-.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Magasta, pretty important for Sailors. Probably determined by the current?

The currents don't flow directly to Magasta, and change a lot, so would not be good for direction, except "with the flow."

Stars are reliable for this, especially since Pole Star is right over the empty pool.

> In Genertela, is North associated with where cold and storm season comes
> from?

First, it is impossible to answer how it is "in Genertela," simply because of so many cultures and systems.
But let me start by saying that the north is cold, winter winds in the west come from the N and NW, and everyone acknowledges this fact.

> I know whether Valind is in check has a lot to do with how bad things get
> in Storm season. How many would know this though?

That holding Valind reduces the fierceness of the weather? All Orlanthi know that.
Others, like the reindeer people of Fronela, have different methods of coping with it. The Lunars send out their Kalikos expeditions, etc.

 Is it a fairly universal in the fire side lore that Valind lies in the
> North? Would this be a common belief?

Yes, though maybe not by that name. There is a fact: a powerful, cruel god of deadly cold lives up north. Many ruths and lies are told about him, bu everyone knows of him.

> This is assuming that the North is not appreciably colder

This depends upon the scale we are speaking of, but in general it IS warmer int he south, cooler in the north.

> than anywhere else-latitude has nothing to do with temperatures.

Not in the manner that we modern people tend to assume (often wrongly) it does.

> Is it conceivable that at least some learned people in central Genertela
> might conceive of North as Valind, Valind's Home, Ice, or some such. And
> the South as Magasta, the Center or some such?

Sure. Absolutely possible. When and where, and more importantly why do they think that?

> I assume that East and West would reference the gates where Yelm enters and
> then exits or versa vice if you are lately from the underworld.

Almost universally.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer