Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_E7Ni5SGs6YpnDH6x8u7nS-xMjmait7T36EOQEnPSaIU6FglJbhoTw7hIGqwX_3xRMKCi6>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:15:06 -0000

The myth isn't uinversal. Its all "Sun" but as to who the sun is can often be debated culturally. For some reason I'm reminded of the Lay of Alvis in which Thor engages the dwarf in a riddling contest.

TelI me Alvis, for I think you know, all that has ever happened, what is the name for the sun in all the nine worlds?"

"That's easy enough," the dwarf said. "Men call it Sun, and the Aesir called it Orb, the dwarfs call it Dvalin's Delight, the giants Ever Bright the elves call it Fair Wheel and All Glowing it is named by the Vanir."

And so on. Same day, different planet (as it were).

The Orlanthi know that the Sun is Elmal, the loyal thane, not the Evil Emperor.

Jeff