RE: The Solar Passage

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_d1YnhC60xCWvFNKmOvKWwlhJ8nUdkNv1abKmAIN2EDYxlHMKziQxSdE_oDY9Tpl>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:16:36 +0100

Let me have an attempt at this one?

Fascinating piece, btw. Enjoyed reading it.

I think the Skydome is "mythically far away" from the normal world. To my mind therefore, if we used a basic understanding of earthly physics, this would mean that there would be nowhere on the lozenge that would see differing sun behaviour. However we are always urged not to use our earthly physics savvy in connection with these things. The myths determine what happens and they are perceived by those whose lives are permeated through and through by the origins of those stories that describe how the world works.

The rule-of-thumb I use to express Gloranthan things is: they all tend to look and feel like Earthly ones unless described otherwise. Gloranthans might not have grey matter inside their heads to perform the thinking but why bother to come up with an alternative unless you have a story about that? A Gloranthan apple falls from a tree and hits the ground just in the same way one does on Earth, unless we have a reason for it not to.

Everyone's Glorantha varies, right out of the gate, so I believe it's all down to your own feeling and experience of what fuels good stories in your games.

In short: I think that Gloranthans see the sun rising and setting in the same way Earthlings do. There are just different reasons for this, depending on who you are (of course, these 'whos' live in different places, so you can still have geographical variations if that makes for interesting elements in your stories). This definitely doesn't discount certain peoples seeing something different; they may have a dramatically different myth structure. I just don't know of any :)

I don't recommend using any complicated methods for determining sun movements, unless this is an important element in your storytelling.

Matthew