Re: The Solar Passage

From: Bruce Mason <mason.bruce_at_2g9ahIYy6rOFTNbj1Vhq1ttsQAYMU-oPcAUIp6_drPhObfp0aqXvL_UiUYbjLKQd>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:39:54 +0100

2009/9/7 Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_QxysrtBm3M413840EhEeZ8-_illS25e6XoqZHjcuxe_8kfuOMZh9hPAZIeG-JqxfNadkRUzwHYPn7UI_Z4tQS_02r3qK3mI.yahoo.invalid>

> I think the Skydome is "mythically far away" from the normal world. To my
> mind therefore, if we used a basic understanding of earthly physics, this
> would mean that there would be nowhere on the lozenge that would see
> differing sun behaviour. However we are always urged not to use our earthly
> physics savvy in connection with these things. The myths determine what
> happens and they are perceived by those whose lives are permeated through
> and through by the origins of those stories that describe how the world
> works.

That's an interesting point. In my current campaign which is set in Dark Season and being run primarily for players who are new to Glorantha, I've been telling my players that in winter time it's not that the day's are shorter but that the sun is weaker. After all, the sun is a god who travels across the sky every day and takes the same amount of time to do it. It provides a handy short-hand of the difference between Glorantha and Earth. I also sometimes mention that the shadows and darker and deeper, fires are harder to start and don't shed as much light etc.

I had never really thought about the effect of the position of Yelm. Technically, mornings would last most of the day in the west, which would really suck if you're not a morning person.

Maybe what's going on is that Gloranthan's are mythically aware of the position where the Spike used to be. If your perspective of the world is roughly Spike-wards and anti-Spikewards then midday would be when Yelm is over the Spike. In the same way that we northern hemisphericals tend to think of north as roughly forwards then to someone in the far east, Yelm would conceptually come from behind them.

I have the nagging feeling that this has been discussed before (most things have) but to me the key point is that midday might not be when Yelm is overhead but when its over the Spike. Could mean that the Orlanthi prefer afternoons because Yelm is being dethroned (that and the hangover should have worn off). Could also make midday a magically potent moment.