Re: Gloranthan/Genertelan Dress

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_5h28PjTVCQ5VcojzSrGyKYJtpOTFCx_68hzEZOxDhO85Tfr6mLcJ1tQ7cEHKaLY63k>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:37:34 +1000

2009/9/11 valkoharja <rintasaa_at_sXSMCl2Eo2oquUee8066dEke4rKSqCQ869DzZJebOF_7BElthHrfaCaxRoQVjE9ZhrcPdeY5U9yy8r7K3dU_yA.yahoo.invalid>
> I use early Islam and Judaism for cultural inspiration, but keep the technology at bronze/early iron age. Cataphractoi / Clibanari
> instead of knights for instance.

Isn't that more about tactics (or "doctrine" maybe?) and psychology than technical arts? Mail and long lances go back a fair way.

I think the "knight" is a pretty key conceptual touchstone for the West - reworking the West away from fantastic renditions of 15th century Europe is fine, but the image of the knight (and the wizard, and the priest I suppose) need to be kept somehow.

FWIW Loskalm as always made me think of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth for some reason. My "knights" might even look a bit like the lance-bearing Polish Hussars!

--
John Machin