Re: Brithini Caste Restrictions/Duties

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_znkcXHKAKvKm_6jrXLaxkKGSIuo_wsrebD-AQC-rsQKvKDmW-5Fm8r0q8I7Ot8suU>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:03:17 -0700

YGWV On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM, ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_AU6q59y2cMePrCcA3vrf48wZ23hnmAi1fxQ6mpQdXWfJNYabOeuLw7lh4gbmeoljEjjlr9496MTsVMMnk8Ya.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > > They are callous certainly, and have expunged some of the most
> > > uplifting
> > > parts of the human spirit from their culture,
> >

> > Woah woah, they haven't expunged anything!
> > They are born this way.
> > They are not human beings, but a kind of proto-human being.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a matter of definitions, or just of YGWV,

Note that this discussion could be held even in Glorantha.

> so:
>
> If they're not human,

I contend the original Brithini are not human. They are people, of course.
But then, so are uz, mostali, some aldryami, ogres, etc.

> that would mean that, should they break their restrictions, they can never
> become human,

or, I think, they DO become human.
Arkat did.
:-D

just a Brithini-who-happens-to-be-ageing?

I think that there is a line somewhere that can be crossed. It may be vague (though I bet there is a Talari actuarial table on it somewhere) but then, so are the "lines" to cross to become a broo, ogre, and so on.

> (In the same way that a dwarf who starts ageing doesn't become a human).

Interesting theory!

> And, if they're born that way, why do they need to be trained to act like
> Brithini - wouldn't it just come naturally to them?

Baby deer need little training.
Baby wolves, lions, orca and so on need some training. Baby people need even more, even when they are as well adapted to their tasks as the Brithini.

> (In the same way that a human doesn't need to be trained to feel sexual
> desire, it just comes naturally to them when they get old enough).

Sex is a trick of a pagan erasanchula to turn the True People into mortals. So are all the temptations that would turn them into mortals.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer