Re: Brithini Caste Restrictions/Duties

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_PpK5GjOnMZzPeWSmaihGIs1PjXnJtL2u888Q7bxfyuJib_9rmrXqbdS327IDCL_w7AS>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:26:25 -0000

> > I'm not sure whether this is a matter of definitions, or just of
> > YGWV,
>

> Note that this discussion could be held even in Glorantha.

Of course :)

> > that would mean that, should they break their restrictions, they
> > can never become human,
>

> or, I think, they DO become human.
> Arkat did.
> :-D

That's what I thought; it seems to be more a matter of definitions than an actual "My Glorantha Varies" on this front.

> > And, if they're born that way, why do they need to be trained to
> > act like
> > Brithini - wouldn't it just come naturally to them?
>

> Baby deer need little training.
> Baby wolves, lions, orca and so on need some training.
> Baby people need even more, even when they are as well adapted to
> their tasks as the Brithini.

But if a baby troll got raised in human society I wouldn't expect it not to be trollish (short of some impressive magic). It might, perhaps, try and suppress that part of its nature, but it would always be there - its instinctive, untaught. So, if Brithini aren't human, I'd expect their natural Brithini-ness to be just as instinctive and untaught as trollishness to a troll, or human nature to a human. (They would, of course, still have to be taught how to be a warrior, or a sorcerer, or whatever, just like other people do, but that's different).

Perhaps another way of addressing this is to ask: how does a newborn Brithini differ from a newborn human?

> > (In the same way that a human doesn't need to be trained to feel
> > sexual
> > desire, it just comes naturally to them when they get old enough).
> >

> Sex is a trick of a pagan erasanchula to turn the True People into
> mortals. So are all the temptations that would turn them into
> mortals.

Well, no argument on *that* front :)

--
Trotsky