Re: Brithini Caste Restrictions/Duties

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_5l8m4-opG-k0iKoGo-H6xHyQoeBWwg29d1vmscVs5qwCnTx8YGrCKCIif5ERSQjE27>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:20:05 +1000

2009/9/29 ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_q6Ri2Tyo0vHvPAkzKvxIaVg6Zm-2bVR-_5X2C0_mC4jcRsRRxhD0q0FgmFgqEApko1GMppNjPXnSiHEiabTE52Tzw-k.yahoo.invalid>
> Blimey - not to me. Scary certainly, but not at all maniacal (unlike the Vadeli). If anything, I'd say they were quite tragic, forced into
> rigid codes of behaviour by an overwhelming fear of death and ageing. They are callous certainly, and have expunged some of the
> most uplifting parts of the human spirit from their culture, and in certain respects one can therefore see them as being "horrible"...
> but "maniacs" just doesn't seem the right word to me.

"Horrible tragics" just makes them seem like the spend their eons listening to Morrissey on repeat.
"I'd go out tonight, but I haven't got a [caste appropriate] stitch to weeeaaaaar..."

They impinge on my attentions like the bright, but empty-eyed fanatic; unseen terrible energies crackling just beneath the surface. You don't keep to this sort of almost totally ritualised life without *action*; or should that be *reaction*? :)
I think of Gormenghast; of the Lord Groan, a clear melancholic, passively getting his breakfast according to the book - but also of Sourdust the Master of Ritual who clearly is animated to unfailingly observe, and enforce, the dictates of tradition.

They must be motivated by some force to do what they do. Just because they are not screaming and failing doesn't mean they are not impelled by powerful, and disturbing, energies. The Brithini aren't merely enervated (though some may well be) they pointlessly spend their considerable energy, arts, and etc on means without an end.

But perhaps "maniac" is the wrong term? I'm certainly not up on my psychological terminology.

--
John Machin