Re: contiguous lands in Sartar

From: allen <richaje_at_GAZVc5uUX1pLNyZPk7ftrFdkz7apVNrqOgvK2h68A3vSfpuI31fxobLlJXmTN8KVmoHg>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 05:59:35 -0000

> I just looked at the maps posted on livejournal, and I like 'em. I
> understand that everything with the Satari are constantly in motion, so
> they are general at best. One comment is that the tribal lands are
> contiguous. That was a surprise. I'm intrigued because I remember a
> discussion a while back about crisp, contiguous lands being a modern
> concept, and it didn't apply to Sartar. I believe Greg 'imself said as
> much, or agreed to it. It may have been in context of clan tula's, but
> I think the basic logic applies to anything dealing with Heortlings.

Good comment and you are fundamentally correct. However, this map dates from 1618 and is drawn directly from Greg's maps of the tribal boundaries. Two things have served to "regularize" tribal boundaries: 1. the presence of the House of Sartar to arbitrate disputes between tribes; and 2. the Lunar government which regularizes tribal boundaries in the interest of easier administration.

> So my question is: are these borders anything close to the how the
> Sartari see the tribal boundries, or mostly just a concession to how the
> modern RPGer's mind works? I understand and appreciate the pragmatism
> of this latest wave of Glorantha material, but I like to know which bits
> are which. Especially after playing KoDP and getting used to satellite
> clans in the tribe.

Really a problem with making maps. In an idea world, we'd show that the boundaries are porous and overlapping. Clans don't have firm boundaries recognized by all parties, nor do tribes. However, this map helps show the generally accepted boundaries of the tribes and helps players and narrators get a far better feeling for the location and size of the tribes, which locations are under the control of what tribe and so on.

Jeff
Moon Design LLC