Re: Skills for a Dara Happan Princess

From: David <blerg2_at_I7D0iYBn-2kKa4HuCEgES5XEaIrJRZqEOZFUVG65S7CTdOT_Yf2K8wZjlg_reeZaTRama>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 04:31:29 -0000

On Jan 16, 2013, at 5:45 AM, jorganos wrote:
> Andrew Larsen wrote:
> > Training concubines seems a little far-fetched for a
> > monogamous, anti-sex culture like the Dara Happans.
>
> Not necessarily training concubines, rather directing them to
> the maximised benefit of the patriarch's well-being.
>
> I am fairly convinced that the Dara Happans view sexual relief
> with concubines as a healthy but private affair of things. Dara
> Happan wives as well...

This "monogamous, anti-sex" trope for Dara Happa is frankly silly. Monogamous, the way that Yelm was? A quick read of GRoY tells that Yelm, and thus DH nobility, had/have multiple junior wives and/or concubines (as well as pillow-biter boys). Clearly they are no more anti-sex in practice than Medieval Catholic clergymen; probably no more anti-sex than modern Pashtuns, recommending goats, or at least boys, over women when enjoyment is the goal.

Yelmic Dara Happans no doubt say that it is better to marry than to burn, and better to slake one's sinful lusts on concubines and whores than to spoil one's wife (or wives), and excessive sex leads to all sorts of illnesses and one is better to dispense with the practice as early as possible, and all the other absurd and hypocritical sayings that we can all remember, then, like Victorian gentlemen and Harlan County Baptists (at least as per Boyd Crowder), sin guiltily when out of the public eye.

Dara Happan wives are no doubt just as hypocritical, and know every trick to convince their husband to leave them alone (so they can spend their nights with the lusty Lodrilli or even Orlanthi slaves :-), especially when pregnant (the best way to avoid unfortunate accidental pregnancies, as Roman matrons could have told you).