Re: Hoplite combat styles

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:09:43 -0000

> >> This was discussed on the digest some years ago - one suggestion was that the Pelandans (Daxdarius) developed the phalanx (and still use the 1H spear style), the Dara Happans (Urvairainus) improved on it, as a result of their having more experience with/need to fight cavalry.

Peter Metcalfe:
> > Urvairinus didn't have any problems with cavalry.

> I'm not entirely clear on the fighting style of the Ram People.

Flyers and skirmishers, heroic duels.

> > What he invented was
> > a disciplined formation - the Sunstand - against the Ram People.

Which uses circles which have an additional runic/magical meaning.

> Absolutely - but the same source says two handed spears and javelins were their equipment, which doesn't make a lot of sense really. If you aren't in a phalanx (and the sun stand really isn't a phalanx at all), the long spear really isn't that great a weapon (too easy to get inside its reach), so setting it against cavalry seems one of the few good justifications for it.

I see the Sun Stand as a defensive formation that presents nasty spears in every direction, fending off flyers as well as earthbound attackers attempting a hit and run. An outer rank with huge shields and inner ranks using two-handed spears to fend off and wound any attacker that comes into range sure sounds like something that would demoralize glory-drunk storm barbarians.

> > Nobody fights in the Urvarinus equipment anymore.

> I don't think Urvairainus equpment would be completely discarded, but it may be that its function is largely ceremonial.
> The javelins etc might be retained if

I would expect the Urvairinus formation to be a standard formation for guards of solar magicians fighting storm opponents. The guards form magical circles that can be strengthened if under attack, or tapped into if concentrating on a far-ranging magic (Clearsky, for instance).