Re: Hoplite combat styles

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 01:30:04 +0800

On 21/01/2013, at 7:09 PM, jorganos <joe_at_...> wrote:
> Peter Metcalfe:

>>> Urvairinus didn't have any problems with cavalry.

>> I'm not entirely clear on the fighting style of the Ram People.

> Flyers and skirmishers, heroic duels.

Flyers will generally be a minority (though a significant one), but it does seem that skirmishers are common, and heroic duels. To what extent are the Ram People related to the Andam Horde? They used chariots.

>>> Nobody fights in the Urvarinus equipment anymore.

>> I don't think Urvairainus equpment would be completely discarded, but it may be that its function is largely ceremonial. >> The javelins etc might be retained if

> I would expect the Urvairinus formation to be a standard formation for guards of solar magicians fighting storm opponents. The guards form magical circles that can be strengthened if under attack, or tapped into if concentrating on a far-ranging magic (Clearsky, for instance).

	Good point!
	Gloranthans won't restrict themselves to the hoplite tactics that were successful on earth, because they aren't just fighting those opponents.
	Cheers

		David