Re: Broo - Predator/Prey Relationship

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_xkRaVSDHq_omrl0EknjGz-zMEoJbbZbyztPZ2OIX6zTgasatgPe5WN1FKYmzD3tl>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:58:12 +0000

On 6 Feb 2013, at 11:33, Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_peZ8_OExbuhJq0JXvzPpoNf7IZWq4WLGu8ON6QdbhQoFet8APRpMNhqZj5doKqlP2mO1kSGNsxiI9udOGg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Are Broo Herbivores?

I'd say they are mostly omnivores, and the odd few with weird eating related chaos features - can't eat meat, can't eat plants, doesn't need to eat and can eat <insert not normally edible substance>. They also have cannibalistic tendencies, as what good chaotic monster wouldn't. Eating plants will keep you going, fresh meat will make you thrive.
> If they are then, in Prax, they should have relatively common population
> explosions as I would assume vegetation would be easy to access. All they
> would need are 5-10 years of good climatic conditions to provide food.
>
> I would assume there would be less chance of this if they were carnivorous.
>
> Any biologists out there would care to comment?

The life cycle of Broos is very simple. Find a breeding partner (normally very unwilling), breed with it, wait for (can't remember the exact amount of time) a while, then the product of the union explodes out of the host in an alienesque manner, killing the host. The remains can now be eaten by the new born. The breeding partner is best a living thing in the traditional sense, so herds, humans, other races and animals are best. Broos are strong in fertility and chaotic, so can also mate with odd stuff - rocks, trees, water, etc, producing cool and weird chaos Broos for heroes to kill. As raping weird stuff is clearly not as much fun as living things, Broos target the later.

What happens next is dependent on the local broo culture. If there is one, the new born gets to join an organised-ish group that can possibly plan, raise breeding partners and lead a productive and happy life. Otherwise they become feral Broos and might be lucky to meet up with some other ferals and form a band.

There are 10000 Broos in the Wastelands, most around the tunnelled hills, with other small groups radiating out from this concentration. Other hotspots would be the Devils Marsh, and the Krjalki Bog (there are certainly others). The herds will be their main target, sneak in, impregnate and leave, wait for the chaos outburst.

I don't think their breeding follows normal predator/prey boom/bust patterns. Chaos maws should vomit out a group of Broos having been summoned by a Thed shaman. A giant bubble should burst on the surface of The Devil's Marsh, filled with Broos, the Krjalki Bog should do likewise. The goal of all broo shaman should be to bring more Broos into the world.
> Broos natural predators could only be Praxian Nomads surely. After
> Moonbroth 1612, there was a great reduction in Praxians so maybe 5-10 years
> after that we are looking at significant broo strength - if they can evade
> the influx of Sable Tribes. The loss of so many Nomads would have reduced
> protection of their tribal animal enabling lothario broos to drop by and
> "Carry off" their conquests. Lord Raus would have increasing problems with
> this creature as he expands during this period.

Not a great reduction, the Sable tribe takes up semi-permanent residence around the Paps, breaking the natural cycle of the tribes visiting the rich grazing around the Paps, the Bison and Impala tribes are outlawed to the Wastes. The Morokanth and high Llama tribes, are neutral but under pressure. Chaos starts to vomit forth more rapidly from the Marsh as a result of the natural order being broken. The Sables have new ways amongst them, the Antelope Lancers have revealed a connection to the Red Goddess to them, some understand the connection to chaos, this magnifies the effect a bit.

I think your rise of the Broos is a good storyline, but not related to biology. There is a rise in all chaos in Prax in my campaign, but it's because of the breaking of Waha's natural order that allows more chaos into the world.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433