Re: Mythical Praxians

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:32:43 -0000

Charles:
> The more I read the less that I believe that the Theists "death of
> all gods" during the Greater Darkness is quite as universal as the
> Theists make out. And even there we only have the stories of 2 great
> Theistic pantheons to go by.

We know that not all the Gods died, in fact not all the Gods of the Storm Pantheon died. However the Great Compromise seems to have affected all the Major Gods and the Greater Gods. Minor Gods and Demigods don't seem to have been affected as much.

So, we get gods such as Waha wandering around. Didn't the god of Raibanth get up and greet the Red Goddess? Not the act of a god bound by the Compromise. Cragspider was active until she attempted to cure the Curse of Kin and now is semi-active. I can't think of any examples from the Storm Pantheon off-hand, so maybe they were tightly bound by their oaths to Orlanth and so followed his lead.

Maybe Etyries counts, as she is said to have been a daughter of Issaries who grew tired of selling pots for a thousand years before meeting the Red Goddess, but I am not at all sure how canonical or accurate that is.

Of course, we have had several events where the Gods have fought outside the Compromise in History - The Arkat/Gbaji War, maybe at the Clanking City, during the Four Arrows of Light battle and at Castle Blue. It is possible that more and more demigods or Minor Gods found themselves bound to the Compromise after these events.

Certainly, in the HeroWars the Gods are active. Nomad Gods is full of Praxian Deities getting stuck in, Voria appears in one of the Sartar Rising scenarios and the war between Argrath and the Lunars involves some gods, I believe. Slaying Orlanth seems to break the Compromise, as probably does the bringing down of the Red Moon.

Simon