Re: Secret History of the Beast Riders?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 02:04:58 -0000

Glass asks:
> I agree. And here's a neat thing from Nomad Gods, which
> granted might no longer count for much:
>
> FATHER OF INDEPENDENTS. This pathetic wretch, slave to man and
> god, claims to be the Founder of the many small Tribes, or Independents,
> and will gladly tell his amusing lies to all who would listen. Yet it is
> ridiculous to think that such a wretched thing could birth the powerful beings
> who need neither god nor support to live in the chapparal. According to the
> Father, though, he was a victim of the Gods War and crippled to become
> the ferryman to the gods. Yet he escaped. Returning to Prax, he was
> again captured and put to a similar task in the Dead Place where he
> still serves with admirable ability.
>
> Does this psychopomp who uniquely knows his way around the Dead
> Place sound like anyone else we might know under another name?

Nope, not to me.

> Isn't this a story the "great" tribes tell about people who aren't really fully
> part of their religious system? Do we automatically trust such stories?

I prefer to leave him ambiguous, so that he can be whatever become appropriate for the story your PC's create. Certainly he is not "native" to the Praxian mythology. If he was, then they would know truths about him, instead of dismissing him as a liar.

> How do we know the Independents worship Waha? The answer to this
> one is probably in the books, but I can't find it right now.

Many do, some don't. The unicorn chicks dont. Bolo lizard riders do. There is a cuklt distribution in Drastic Prax, I think. And maybe the Genertela Book.

Chris