Re: Secret History of the Beast Riders?

From: Glass <glass_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 01:25:27 -0000

> I think that, if someone did a religious history of the Praxians, they would find alternating periods of religious innovation and reaction. The Praxians meet some new group of outlanders and learn new things. To some degree, there is some level of change. Then the reaction comes. It basically thinks it is wiping out that innovation. But reaction never truly returns things ot how they were. Instead, they create yet another new way of doing things that is justified by "that is how it always was." And it encapsulates outlandish things within acceptable forms. So the Humakti influence becomes the Sword Brothers, a hero band and sacred society. Orlanth is recognized as Storm Bull's little brother, the wimpy man who brings the rain. The lunar influence is high "right now," but question what happens when the reaction comes. The Praxians will presumably wipe the Plains clear of over Lunar control, but they can;t change the fact that the spirit talkers at Moonbroth have had significant true revelations about the nature of the spirits there.

This is what I'm excited about. We know that things have changed -- at an extremely punctuated rate and in the face of strong reactionary counter-currents -- in Peloria. We have the kings lists to prove it. And if they can do it, other Gloranthan cultures can too.

Was just reading something you wrote a decade ago about women in Storm Bull, by the way. I liked the observation that they would tend to come from non-Waha/Eiritha-dominated clans in order to ever get good enough at fighting to initiate in the first place. Another piece of a dynamic Prax.

Garzeen legendarily came from the West in the years before the Dawn, so there's another stray thread.